The Sandollar was originally built in 1954 by a gentleman who lived in Fort George Island. This small but capable restaurant was able to capitalize on the booming American shrimp market from Mayport across the river. The business thrived and created the tradition of serving fresh and local seafood at low costs. This was when Heckscher Drive still had bridges that were made of wood and moved with the tide. After a while, the area demanded a larger facility and in 1988, a new building was constructed by Dwayne Williams, who owned La Cruise Casino and Restaurant in Mayport. He kept the tradition of providing customers with fresh, quality seafood at a low price.
Today, under that same direction from the original owner, we look forward to bringing back the same great seafood that The Sandollar brought in when it opened. We are proud to be serving our local community for over 15 years now and will continue to give back and assure our locals that the next decade will provide the same great service, incredible food, and innovation that we are known for.
Break the chain habit and visit a local ocean side restaurant where our fresh food comes from a boat, not a truck!!